You would think that what’s on your supplement bottle would be the same as what’s in your supplement bottle. However, as evidenced by the recent allegations of mislabeling against four retail chains, this is not always the case.
The investigation by the New York Attorney General was directed specifically towards herbal supplements.
What was found was that many of these supposed herbs contained fillers, additives or in some cases, none of the active ingredient! It’s bad enough to think that you might be getting an ineffective product, but even worse is when products contain contaminants that add to your toxin load.
What’s the solution?
Strict quality control standards.
Any reputable manufacturer will adhere to strict quality control processes that ensure that what you see is what you get.
So what can you as a consumer do?
- Find out what research has to say about your dietary supplements. Two helpful websites are, National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM) and the Office of Dietary Supplements.
- Contact the manufacturer and ask to see a certificate of analysis on any product in question. This will allow you to see what the product is inspected and tested for, such as physical characteristics, heavy metals, microorganisms, potency, and more.
- To be assured that you are getting quality ingredients, you can also ask the manufacturer their process or checklist for screening vendors/suppliers.
- For a better understanding of ingredients, you can do further investigation on the Dietary Supplement Label Database.
- Of course last, but not least, is talking to your doctor. Most doctors will recommend supplements that they themselves can vouch for, but if there is a question, don’t hesitate to ask. After all, you are your best advocate!
Here at ICM, our goal is for you to experience optimal health. To that end, we go to great lengths to ensure that the supplements we recommend are of the highest quality and tested for purity on a regular basis.
Taking care of your health is an investment, but it’s one that pays dividends for the rest of your life.
If ‘The greatest wealth is your health’ as the saying goes, then you need to protect it. This starts by becoming an informed consumer and knowing what’s in your supplement bottle!