New Habits for Health: #1 Eat a high-protein breakfast.
Want help with weight control, focus, and mood support? The simple solution can be found in eating a high-protein breakfast. With a New Year comes the opportunity to develop healthy habits, why not start with breakfast!
Did you know that missing the first meal of the day can actually make weight control more difficult? People who skip breakfast tend to eat more food than usual at the next meal or nibble on high-calorie snacks throughout the day to satisfy hunger.
People who do not eat breakfast often have a hard time concentrating due to their body and brain constantly fighting low blood sugar levels. This means lower productivity and less retention of information.
Remember how you felt the last time you were hungry with low blood sugar? At this point you were ready to shovel anything into your mouth, healthy or not! When you eat breakfast you tend to be less irritable because your body is not in stress-response-starvation-panic-mode, resulting in healthier food choices as well.
Additionally, you have a larger capacity to build mood-supporting neurotransmitters due to a higher consumption of protein instead of carbohydrates. Translation: a daily supply of adequate protein = stable blood sugar + essential building blocks for serotonin and dopamine = a recipe for happiness!
Here’s your no excuses high-protein breakfast recipe:
Omelet Breakfast Muffins
- 8 eggs
- 1/8 cup water
- 1/2 lb chicken, ham, or sausage, cooked and cut or crumbled into small pieces. *If you would like to be adventurous you may line every cup with one bacon slice but make sure it’s organic.
- 2-3 cups diced vegetables (1 red bell pepper, 2c kale or broccoli and 1/2 yellow onion is an idea, but use whatever you like)
- Salt and spices to taste
- Preheat oven to 350℉.
- Grease 8 muffin cups with coconut oil or line with paper baking cups, or just bacon slices.
- Beat the eggs in a medium bowl and add meat, vegetables, salt, ground pepper, and any other ingredients you wish to add.
- Pour mixture into the muffin cups.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes.